Helping To Build Families For More Than Three Decades
Our firm opened its doors more than 30 years ago (in 1988) with the singular intention of helping potential parents and birth mothers through the adoption process. In this time, we have helped numerous parents achieve their dreams, having facilitated more than 2,500 successful adoptions.
Based in Greenville and serving throughout South Carolina, our practice is led by attorney Raymond W. Godwin. His interest in adoption law began in the 1980s, when he adopted two baby girls, and he has remained committed to the field ever since.
A Legacy Of Service In The Region
We welcome you to contact us if you are a birth mother or birth father who needs help or if you are seeking to adopt. We offer experienced guidance in a full spectrum of adoption processes and considerations, including:
- Assisting with preparation of your home study
- Referring a birth mother to you or locating a child for you to adopt
- Reviewing and drafting your “Dear Birth Mother” letter
- Reviewing and drafting your portfolio
- Assisting in the selection of an out-of-state lawyer to represent your birth mother
- Monitoring payment of legal and reasonable expenses for your adoption
- Obtaining Interstate Compact (ICPC) approval when you take placement of a child born outside of South Carolina or when you, as an out-of-state couple, take placement of a child born in South Carolina
- Updating you regularly on the status of your adoption
- Drafting, filing, and processing all legal documents
- Finalizing your adoption through the family court in the county of your residence or the child’s birth, whichever is located in South Carolina
- Obtaining an amended birth certificate for your child once your adoption is finalized
- Representing contested adoption situations and foster-adopt placements that involve your county Department of Social Services
- Assisting out-of-state adoptive couples with their South Carolina birth mothers
- Assisting families with the grandparent or stepparent adoption process
We are adept at facilitating all manner of adoptions, whether you are looking to adopt a special needs child or a child in foster care, or if you are seeking to strengthen your bond with your stepchild or grandchild.
Involving Birth Parents In The Process
We encourage the participation of birth parents in the adoption process as well. We believe when a birth parent connects on some level with the adoptive couple before placement, that birth parent tends to have a high comfort level and sense of peace about her desire to place her child with her adoptive couple. Getting to know the adoptive couple prior to birth allows the birth mother to know that her child is going into a loving and stable home.
An adoption plan must be a win-win for the birth mother, the child, and the adoptive couple. We talk with and counsel birth mothers about their decision to place their child for adoption. We collaborate with other adoption professionals who counsel birth mothers on their rights in the adoption procedure and legal matters relating to relinquishment of parental rights.
Our commitment to serve you and others in our growing community and state doesn’t end with our legal assistance. We also conduct adoption seminars coordinated with Nightlight Christian Adoptions, an agency which primarily facilitates international adoptions and home studies for South Carolina couples adopting internationally or domestically.
We genuinely feel that you should be able to trust your adoption attorney–not only as a professional, but also as a good human being. We have been involved in community activities, including youth sports activities, church-related outreaches, crisis pregnancy centers, and some worthy political endeavors. Ray has written articles about adoption, co-authored two books on adoption, and has been selected to speak on adoption by the South Carolina Bar Association.
Ray and his staff are committed to serving others every day by trying to set an example in the community and help those in need.
To learn more about Raymond W. Godwin and his background, please follow the link below:
Reach Out To Us To Learn More
Regardless of the type of adoption you are seeking, our comprehensive knowledge of the process and understanding of the unique challenges you are facing can serve to benefit you.